Monday, September 1, 2008

Lunch and a Serious Dilemma


Mmmm, lunch. Leftovers!


A leftover bean burger, some tomato soup, and the rest of my squash.


And for dessert- rice krispies with a handful of chocolate chips, soy milk, and a drizzle of agave nectar!

Now I want to talk about something very serious.

Unfortunately, being vegan is getting to be very pricey. Especially since I'm moving out next year to go to college, I need to be able to eat pretty cheaply. I can't afford to keep buying expensive milk-like or cheese-like products (soy milk is inexpensive- thankfully!). In addition, it seems like all I'm allowed to eat, especially for breakfast, is sweet things like berries and syrups and pancakes, rather than a nice egg on toast. The bottom line is, I'm seriously considering reverting back to vegetarianism, to cut down on the budget, and to provide more variety to my diet. The idea of eating milk cultured with rennet, which is what cheese is, disgusts me; nonetheless, I have to be realistic here. Being vegan for a couple of months was a nice experiment, but is it time to move on, I wonder? Your input is greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

alaina said...

i understand your problem. i am the only vegan in an omni family of six and we sometimes struggle with expenses. the last thing i wanted when i made the change was to make my parents buy expensive "special" vegan food. i get it hardly EVER, and only when it's on sale or i have a coupon. there really isn't any reason to quit being vegan though, because that stuff is really unnecessary. the tofu i buy is 99 cents a pound. you can buy rice, tvp, and vital wheat gluten in bulk. fruits and veggies go on sale cheap. nut butters and hummus aren't too bad either. i get alot of generic stuff like bread and pasta.

overall though it's really your decision. if you think it's something you need to do, you shouldn't feel like you're letting people down.