Monday, September 1, 2008

"Sick" Day

Saturday was such a stressful day for me that on Sunday morning I literally woke up sick; stomachache, sore throat, the works! So I took it easy all day and mostly ate comfort food. Unfortunately, there was a lot of comfort food that is now off limits to me, such as chicken soup and chocolate pudding, but I managed. For lunch I made a "chicken soup wannabe" from leftover spaghetti noodles tossed with olive oil and a ton of salt, and mixed in a ground "beef" patty for flavor and more saltiness.


Other than that I just had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and a couple peanut butter sandwiches throughout the day. Nothing to write home about.

On Saturday I managed to cook some "squash mash" from a squash I grew in my garden. I cooked the squash, sliced, for a very long time, probably about an hour, until it was nice and mushy, then I blended it with some soymilk and salt. It doesn't sound appetizing, I know, but it was! I took it to a family gathering and offered everyone to try a bite, but when I glanced at the garbage later I found lots of piles of squash with one bite taken out of each! Haha. Oh, well, more for me! I guess I was the only one who liked it.


This morning I decided to use up that last Coconut Milk Yogurt I have; usually I don't crave yogurt (or yogurt look-alikes) so I sort of had to force myself to eat it. It didn't have the texture I would have wanted- it was very slimy and gritty. However, the color was superb- a rich dark blue, and the blueberry flavor surely came through! I wouldn't eat it again, though.


About an hour later, I was hungry again, so I made myself a piece of Whole Wheat Bread with garlicky hummus and some chickpeas and black beans. This was my first beans-on-toast experience, and I must say, I'll be having this again! Certainly a nice change from my usual sweet breakfasts!


Right now I'm baking an apple walnut cobbler-type dish, to take 1/2 of it to each of my grandparents' houses. It's not a vegan dessert- it has butter and an egg in it, but if you'd like to see a picture of it, just let me know, and I'll post one. I'll be making this recipe again, of course, to try and veganize it, so I'll probably just post pictures then.

I'm going to go clothes shopping today for a whole new wardrobe! I can't wait!

No comments: