Friday, August 15, 2008

Experimenting

Last night I made my own version of Cheesy Ratatouille. I used one zucchini, one yellow squash, two cans of diced tomatoes, and 1/4 cup nutritional yeast; stirred it all together and baked at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes. DO NOT TRY THIS RECIPE. It was awful. The nutritional yeast was so overpowering, it almost burnt my tongue. This was my first attempt at cooking with it, or even eating it at all, so I didn't realize that a little goes a long way!
I didn't want all that food to go to waste, so I let it marinate overnight in the refrigerator, then rinsed it this morning so that all that's left are the vegetables. They're still a little tangy, but I think they'll be ok on a sandwich.

Then, I made Chinese Tofu. I sliced the tofu into about 1/2 inch thick pieces, pressed them, then basted them with a simple marinade of half water, half soy sauce, with a splash of lemon juice. Baked them for 20 minutes at 425 degrees. Next time I'll marinate them rather than baste them, as the flavor didn't soak all the way through.

Yesterday in the bulk section of the grocery store, something caught my eye: Ginger Granola. Hmm...it had a delicious ginger smell, and oddly enough, cashews in it. So I bought some. This morning I mixed 1/2 cup with 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats, 3/4 cup soy milk, and a dash of cinnamon, and microwaved it for three minutes. It didn't turn out as amazing as I thought it would be but I had some cold as a snack later on and realized, it is very good uncooked. This was my breakfast:

No comments: